Tuesday 24 January 2012

Interview With Tom Shorterz




Tom Shorterz is a DJ from Birmingham who has started off 2012 making big moves. Developing a reputation for producing tracks which get regular airplay on BBC Radio 1 and 1xtra. He is also a popular resident DJ for some of the best bass music club nights in Birmingham. We wanted to find out his next moves and discuss his recent addition to the Rinse Fm roster.

We have recently been hearing your tracks played on BBC 1Xtra. What releases do you have planned?

I've got a track out at the moment called 'Morning Alkaline'. It's a cheeky bootleg getting a lot of support from Djs like Doorly, Seb Chew and Urban Nerds resident Marcus Nasty. Also DJ Q so will be keeping the ball rolling with tunes all through the year. You can keep up to date with my production on my soundcloud page


What else can we expect to see from you in 2012?

It's been a great start to the year, the last Wednesday of every month I will be co-hosting a show on Rinse FM with Cause & Affekt and Mr Limey as part of Marcus Nasty's 7pm - 9pm slot. In Birmingham I work closely with The Rainbow venues to co-promote 2 popular events FACE & 02:31 after-party which have been going going really well. In addition, I will be hosting a show on Rainbow's very own internet radio which will be launching very soon. Lots of interesting stuff happening to keep me busy.


Do have any production collaborations coming up?

Marc Spence and I are working on a new project called 'Don't Panic'. Its about recapturing that early Detroit Techno and Chicago House feel of production. It's so much more fun using hardware to produce authentic sounds.


Tell us how much the UK bass scene has changed since you have started and how important is it to stay current?

Always been a big fan of the UK Garage sound. So much of the stuff I loved back in the 90s were tracks by UK producers such as Tuff Jam, Jeremy Sylvester, Anthill mob, Dj Zinc, Sol Brothers and Harry Lime. I see the term 'UK Bass' spring up and its no difference to the UK sounds back then, It's simply been re-vamped, refreshed and evolved. Music from the Boddika & Joy O collaborations sum it up for me. Im enjoying a lot music from the UK Bass dance music although some of the music is’t very easy to dance to. I play tracks that suits my style of mixing sounds new and old press from my local scene. I think UK Bass is a term to describe lots of sounds from the sub genres of the UK underground dance music scene.


With so much competition around, How have you maintained the reputation as one of the hardest working DJs in the West Midlands?

I've always played a mixture of styles in my DJ set which has helped me become a resident for cities biggest parties like Bigger Than Barry, GLAS and FACE. So I guess that helps keep up a good rep for me. I advise any new djs looking for regular gigs should be making connections with promoters for residencies. All the greatest dance music clubs like Amnesia, Ministry and the Hacienda all have built reputations through the resident DJ's. There are times where I have to show commitment and dedication which means I may not get to play out of town as much. I really enjoy creating a vibe in a venue week in week out because people don't forget that.


How does your production sound influence your DJ sets?

When producing I mix of loads of elements from my favourite music genres so I guess thats kind of like my DJ sets.


Tell us a bit about your studio set up and what equipment do you use?

I use a Macbook with Logic and Ableton with multiple VST’s and control it with a Midi keyboard. Quite recently I have been using some Roland & Korg hardware its very nostalgic hearing those classic sounds again. I am currently in search of a TR-909 drum machine.


Which producers music are you loving at the moment and what tracks do you keep in your set no matter where you play?

Music from Hackman, Joy O, Lazaro Casanova, Lorenzo , Cause & Affekt, Mike Deliquent, Disclosure, TEED, Canblaster, Zinc, Snuff Crew, Subb-ann, Jook 10 and Huxley.


Where can we see and hear you DJing over the next few months?

You can hear me on Rinse FM on the last Wednesday of every month 7pm - 9pm. If your in the midlands catch me at SNO on Thursdays in Solihull also at The Rainbow venues Im promoting and DJing at FACE and 02:31 afterparty on Saturdays. Lastly I am at GLAS on a Sunday which is one the most popular Bank Holiday raves.


Lastly, how tall (or short) are you?

5'9, I think.

Download the guest mix of Tom Shorterz alongside Cause n Affect on Marcus Nasty's Rinse Fm show.
RINSE FM GUEST SHOW - Shorterz, Cause'n'Affekt, Mr limey by Tom Shorterz

Listen to Rinse from 7pm on Wednesday the 25th January to catch Tom Shorterz Live.

Courtesy of Urban Nerds

No comments:

Post a Comment